Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It Took You How Long?

Remember when our laundry room cabinets looked like this? I started the painting process way back in February (that's embarrassing to even admit!).


Well, after 3-4 coats of paint on the fronts, then and little sanding, 3-4 coats of paint on the backs, and another 3-4 coats of paint on the edges they were finally ready to be hung.  (I think that whole process took about 2 months because it was a real hassle.  Each coat only took a few minutes, but the trouble came from not being able to do them all at once and then having to clean the paint sprayer each time. We also hit some cold weather that kept me from painting in the garage for a few weeks.)

After they were all painted and dry we realized that we had a problem with the hardware.  I think these cabinets were built by the previous homeowner and he tended to use whatever he had around the house which meant that we ended up with different size door hinges.  We talked about re-routing and puttying some of the hinge locations to keep them all them same but decided against the extra time and effort.  

After a lengthly search few new hardware in satin nickel instead of brass we were ready to hang the doors.

Much better!! Now I can work on painting the walls!

This is the picture that best shows the different hinge sizes.  The one of the left is a standard door hinge and the one of the right is a about 1/2" shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment