Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cool or creepy? (Part 2)

The monster squash is taking over the world!  It has now taken over the fence and climbed into the nearby Dogwood tree.  I trim it back at least once a week and for all the growth visible in this picture I have removed just as much in my trimming.  It produces very unusual squash that are rather tasteless and I haven't found a great use for them.  I did slice them and roast them for a roasted vegetable lasagna that was delicious but that's about all I can think of.  The neck is too skinny to use for stuffed squash and it isn't the right texture to use in place of zucchini.  I am convinced that if I let it grow without trimming it back that it would take over the world.  It has certainly liked our garden this year, but I don't think we'll be inviting it back next growing season.

 It works it's way into the Dogwood tree from the right side of the fence and is pulling the fence down.

Then it wraps through the tree and comes back out on the same side.  I can't even reach these squash with a ladder which is why the one below got so big. 

 One mutant squash.  I vote creepy for this one because 1) did you see how big it is? and 2) it's heavy and wobbly all at the same time -- it's just not right for a squash

 Yes that is a 39" squash!  which makes #3 on the creepy list -- vegetables that are 2/3 of my total height should not be allowed.

At least the rest of our garden doesn't produce mutant veggies.  Lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and wax beans, basil and eggplant.

This one is neither cool or creepy.  In fact I think I will create a new category called NOT cool.  Our tomato plants have developed a fungus called Septoria Leaf Spot.  It's treatable, not spreading quickly, and we are still getting nice tomatoes but we would like to rid the garden of this for next year.

There's a fungus among us!

And this little guy could be cool or creepy.  It's an eel we found in the crab trap at the shore. I'm on the fence with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment